Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
This book has such an interesting premise, and it was definitely a great read. I loved the space aspect, and the perfectly descriptive setting was amazing!

Amy and her parents were frozen in order to awaken on a new planet in 300 years after traveling on the spaceship Godspeed. When Amy is unplugged from her ice chamber 50 years early, she is thrust into a world she never could have expected. When it turns out to be intentional, it rises other mysteries and secrets that have been long hidden. Together Elder, the next-in-line ruler, and Amy must find out the murderer solve and the other mysteries before it is too late.

I really liked Amy. She was thrust into a completely different world than where she had come from. She came from our time and had to assimilate on a spaceship in the future. Like, I could never even imagine the changes that I would have to go through. She wasn’t particularly strong in body, but she was smart and determined to figure out the mysteries plaguing the ship. She was kind to everyone, and I think that was her best quality.

Elder was totally amazing! He was an individual in a sea of one-minded souls. He tossed aside everything that he had been taught from Eldest, the leader of the ship. He made his own decisions, even though it got him in trouble. He wasn’t afraid of the consequences. He also was really sweet and thoughtful, not like many of the jerks in YA books nowadays, although I love those jerks too. :)

I loved Elder’s best friend Harley. He was definitely hilarious and really made it a point to help Amy with her transition. Unfortunately, Eldest was on my bad list. He was condescending, and I don’t think that he had the ship’s best interest in mind. He was not an ideal leader. Doc was kind, but I felt he was a bit sketch. I can’t determine my stance on him yet.

My absolute favorite part of this book was the very unique setting. I have never read a book set in space, or at least that I can recall. I totally loved the space aspect, and Revis described the ship wonderful so I felt like I was there and could navigate around the whole ship. The plot was intricate and exciting. The multiple mysteries were captivating, and I just had to know the end result.  The chapters are split into both of Elder’s and Amy’s voice, which I thought was very beneficial to fully understanding the story. The romance was cute, and I didn’t feel like it was the main focus of the novel, which was a breath of fresh air. I do wish it was a smidgen more of a focus, but I can’t wait to see how it develops in A Million Suns.

I am so lucky that I get to meet Beth Revis tomorrow! I can’t believe I waited so long to read the wonderful novel. I have very high hopes for the second book!

Favorite Swoon-worthy Quote: Then there is nothing between us at all. My lips melt into hers. A drop of rainwater slips around the edge of my mouth, and then her lips part, and so do mine. The raindrop falls on my tounge, and then it’s lost on hers. My body is drenched; I should be cold. But the warmth of her fills me. My arms snake around her body, pulling her hard against me. I want to crush her into me. I never want this to end.
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
Rating: 4/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment