Review: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers


When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.
But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for...

I didn’t think it could get any better than Grave Mercy, which was amazing. Boy was I wrong! This installment starring Sybella and Beast was equally, if not more, perfect.

Sybella is such a broken, broken girl with a heartbreaking past. I felt so immensely bad for her but she did not need my sympathies because she was incredibly strong. I loved her inner conflict between killing for her god Mortmain or killing for herself. Her strength was admirable and she was so courageous.

When I first encountered Beast in Grave Mercy and knew he was the love interest in this book, I was skeptical. He is one of the most unconventional love interest, but I loved him so much. I loved his capacity to love and to forgive. He was very sweet and charming despite his rather…gruff appearance. He was also an amazing fighter; I’d want him to protect me.

I absolutely loved seeing Ismae and Gavriel from Sybella’s point of view. They were so adorably shy about their relationship and it was cuteness overload. Anne was equally as badass despite her young age. I wish for her happiness. The villain, D’Albret, is horrible, completely vile. He is one of the worst baddies I’ve ever come across. He makes me violent!

I really enjoyed the switch from the more political scene in Grave Mercy to the more personal journey of Sybella. Nun assassins…still such a unique concept. The writing was gorgeous and despite the long length of the book, I finished within a couple hours. The romance was definitely a slow development but so rewarding at the end! Also – very many swoony scenes!

I’m hoping to get an early copy of Mortal Heart from Edelweiss. Annith’s story and the conclusion of this great series is going to memorable – I’m sure!

Favorite Swoon-worthy Quote: As he leans in closer, I do not move – I do not so much as breathe. I watch his lips as they draw nearer to mine, marveling at the shape of them, how there is the tiniest of dimples in the left corner of his mouth, so small you would not see it unless you were close enough to – his lips find mine. Warm, and softer than they’ve any right to be. I am awake in sensations that have nothing to do with relief or fury. I simply want. I want him, his strength, his honor, and his be-damned lightness of heart. I want to drink all those things up like honeyed wine from a goblet and have them fill me.
Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
Rating: 5/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment